Monday, March 2, 2009

Amazing story about Turkish Airlines crash, Flight TK 1951 - the effects of a twitter message

An impressive story about how fast the news on Turkish Airlines crash spread over the Internet. Jonathan Nip lives probably around Schiphol Airport and witnessed the tragedy. He was the closest person to the crash site having access to the Internet. Initially I blamed him on Twitter for caring more about fame than the accident itself and was backed up by some other media articles. Later on, Nip tried to justify himself and it seems that a simple act leads to various effects. Just read and figure out how fast anyone of us can be intercepted by media, authorities. All the situation he experienced looks like a movie related story.
On February 25 a Turkish airlines Boeing 737 crashed just after a landing attempt at Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam. 9 people died and there are over 80 wounded passengers. A big tragedy has unfolded. I could hear and feel the impact of the Boeing 737 at Schiphol Airport. I went outside and I could see the wreckage. Quickly after that passengers got out of the airplane. No smoke or fire could be seen. The plane was badly damaged and clearly a lot of people where at risk. What I was seeing was surreal and extremely disturbing. I could not get to the airplane. Not knowing exactly how to act I went online put the news of the crash on the internet a website called Twitter. I was the only one near the crash site who had access to the internet. I kept updating on the situation through Twitter not knowing what else to do. Within minutes my messages where picked up by the worlds media. I got phone calls from CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera and more major network stations asking to describe what I was seeing. Though I could not get to the plane to help people, I could see the wreckage and saw emergency services quickly arriving at the scene. I have a lot of respect for the people that went to and into the plane and started helping people. It must be horrifying and traumatizing to witness such a disaster. Because of recent media reports about my reporting of the crash, I started to write down my experiences. Above all, I am amazed by the power of internet reporting, and the speed by which is was picked up by the (old) but very powerful medium that television still is – how various stations got my mobile number within minutes remains a mystery to me. People died and got badly injured, and I can only imagine the traumas the survivors must have. I could never have foreseen that in the middle of this tragedy, for a short moment, I was informing my parts of the world on what was unfolding – all of which started by a simple message on Twitter. Jonathan Nip.

4 comments:

HalfCrazy March 5, 2009 at 7:51 AM  

Wow, that is amazing news indeed! It's easy to know his mobile number. Them media authorities always have connections. Thanks for the internet and Twitter. And of course Jonathan Nip for doing what he knows best and helping the people who were involved in the crash. Touching story.

Much Love,

Infowebexplore March 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

yeap, the recent news said that it was the fault of an altimeter which dictated the autopilot to shut down the engines. hmmmm, hard to believe...

Infowebexplore March 5, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

The device that measure the altitude of the airplane (height with respect to ground).

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

  © InfoWebExplore Amsterdam 2009 by Daniel Irimia

Back to TOP